Eggplant and potato cooked in a seasoned tomato sauce, this dish is especially delicious served with any flavoured rice.
Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Servings: 4 servings
Nutrient values per serving
Energy: 212 Calories
Protein: 3 g
Fat: 1 g
Carbohydrates: 21 g
Fibre: 4 g
2 medium potatoes
6 baby eggplants OR 1⁄2 large eggplant
3 tbsp canola oil
1 tsp salt
1 cup tomato sauce
2-3 sliver cinnamon
1 tsp cumin seeds
1⁄2 cup sliced onion
1 cup diced tomato
3⁄4 teaspoon tumeric powder
1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne powder
1⁄4 teaspoon garam masala powder
1-2 tablespoons ground coconut or coconut powder
1. Wash the potatoes, but do not peel. Cut into small chunks to make 2 cups.
2. Cut unpeeled eggplants into pieces the same size as the potatoes to make about 2 cups.
3. Place oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot but not smoking, add cinnamon sticks and cumin seeds. Cover and fry until seeds are golden brown.
4. Add onion and tomato. Stir fry for a few minutes.
5. Add potatoes and turmeric powder. Mix well and cook over medium heat, stirring often, for 3 to 5 minutes, until potatoes are slightly cooked. Add eggplant and mix well.
6. Add cayenne powder, salt, and garam masala powder. Stir in tomato sauce and mix well. You may add about ¼ cup of water to facilitate and cooking process. Cover and cook over low heat until vegetables are tender.
7. Add coconut powder and mix well.
Recipe Source: Eggplant and Potato Masala by Alamelu Vairavan