Dal makhani, a flavourful robust lentil preparation, is a celebrated delicacy from punjab. Rajma and whole urad provide protein and calcium which are extremely important for maintenance of your body cells and healthy bones. Cooking the dal in tomato purée adds a little sharpness to this dish and also enriches it with folic acid and vitamin A. Try this dal with methi makai ki roti, to make a satisfying low fat meal.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Servings: 4 servings
Nutrient values per serving
Energy: 125 Calories
Protein: 7.5 g
Fat: 1.7 g
Carbohydrates: 19.8 g
Fibre: 0.8 g
Calcium: 112 mg
Iron: 1.4 mg
1/2 cup urad (whole black lentil)
1 tbsp rajma (kidney beans)
1/2 cup low-fat milk
1 tsp oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
1 tsp ginger-garlic (adrak-lehsun) paste
1 tsp chilli powder
2 tsp coriander (dhania) powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
3/4 cup fresh tomato pulp
salt to taste
For The Garnish
2 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
1. Clean, wash and soak the whole urad and rajma overnight. Drain.
2. Combine the urad dal and rajma and salt with 2 cups of water and pressure cook for 6 to 7 whistles or till they are overcooked. Whisk well till the urad dal and rajma is almost mashed.
3. Add the milk, mix well and keep aside.
4. Heat the oil in a deep kadhai and add the cumin seeds.
5. When the seeds crackle, add the onions, ginger-garlic paste and cook on a medium flame for a few seconds.
6. Add the chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and 2 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring continuously.
7. Add another 2 tbsp of water and the tomato pulp, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
8. Add the prepared urad dal - rajma -milk mixture and little salt, mix well and cook on a slow flame for 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
9. Serve hot garnished with coriander.
Recipe Source: Low Calorie Dal Makhani by Tarla Dalal