Rajma curry and rice… no meal can be more satiating. Rajma is filling and nutritious and turns out beautifully when cooked in a thick tomato pulp with only basic spices. This curry is a favourite in punjab and very popular among all age groups.
Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Servings: 4 servings
Nutrient values per serving
Energy: 245 Calories
Protein: 8 g
Fat: 11 g
Carbohydrates: 21 g
Fibre: 6 g
2 cups soaked and boiled kidney beans
1 cup roughly chopped tomatoes
3 tbsp oil
1/2 cup grated onions
1 tbsp garlic-ginger-green chilli paste
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
1. Combine the tomatoes and 1 cup of water in a deep non-stick kadhai and cook on a medium flame for 8 to 10 minutes or till the tomatoes turn soft, while stirring occasionally.
2. Allow them to cool slightly and blend in a mixer to a smooth pulp. Keep aside.
3. Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Add the garlic-ginger-green chilli paste, chilli powder, garam masala, turmeric powder, and 2 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
5. Add the rajma, tomato pulp and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
6. Serve hot.
Recipe Source: Rajma Curry by Tarla Dalal